Sunday, August 29, 2010

Farewell Party For Yui

I go to a club, bar etc. every weekend these several weeks, and so that I think I can work hard on weekdays (yes, I'm convincing myself).


We had a farewell party for Yui at Nikki's bar yesterday. She is going to go to Venezuela as an expatriate staff for two years. 


She had been living in Argentina for one year as an student, and since then she has been saying that she wants to go back to Argentina again someday. This time she will be in Venezuela, not in Argentina, but at least she'll be in Latin America and apparently she is going forward to her goal.


Recently sometimes I feel many of my friends are living straight ahead to their dreams whereas I'm just doing a student without any of them. If someone asks me what is my dream I would say I want to have an experience living abroad for a certain span. This goal is almost coming true, but that's a bit different from others'. This one is short span dream, not a life time one.


I am turning to 23 years old next month. I think I'm old enough to think about my life and future.

4 comments:

  1. Oh dear, did somebody fool you into thinking they have a goal in life? Let me tell you something I think: Most people don't have a real "life's goal". If they tell you they do and they're very sure of it, they haven't thought it through enough. There's no such thing as "life's goal", there's just stuff that happens to you.

    But you're not the only person who feels this way: There's so much you can do and you've only got one lifetime to do it in.

    Don't be fooled into thinking that you should know what your future looks like. Nobody does, that's the charm of living. Looking forward is something that you should definately do, because some things take time, but I would recommend only looking forward one year at a time, that's what I do at least. Did you know that I had a totally empty schedule when I returned home? I had planned *nothing* after my internship. I'm just taking things as the come along and trying to find a balance between "I really want to do this" and the number of hours that fit in a day, haha.

    If you feel like you're not doing enough in your life, don't stare at the future too much. I've known people who made plans for tomorrow, but never did anything and looked back on their life saying "I had so many plans". On the other hand, if you feel like you're doing so many things but forgetting to live, then you need to relax again.

    The keyword is balance. I'm sure you'll find it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment, Diana.
    Hmm, I understand what you're saying but still I feel I need something to pursue. I've also been living with looking forward a short-time future (say, one year) so far, but sometimes I feel insecure because my study has almost nothing to do with practical things, it's just a kind of hobby. I think that's why I feel like I need to know what my future looks like. Well, at least right now I have plans for the next one and a half year, so I hope I will find something to pursue for the next several years by the end of my study abroad :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think experiences can help you define what is (or should be) the next move in your life. A person who never do anything in his life will not know what he should do next.

    So a pretty good plan for you is first prepare for your trip to Netherlands. I hope you can find out the next step there. Don't worry so much. What will be, will be.

    And I agree with Diana that most people have no "life's goal". Does a person need a "life's goal" to live?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hai Minh,

    Yes, I really hope I can find something for the next step :)
    Que sera sera!:D

    ReplyDelete